As i have written in my previous post, i’m playing with autocompletion in my web app. I have found some new tricks, that will speed up the process. Never liked the find_by_name implementation, but as this example is derived from jquery.autocomplete plugin behavior, i had no other way. Did some more exploring today and here is what i found out.
Because you are using json response on the ajax controller, and JQuery-UI autocomplete handles it perfectly, you can create a hidden field, and put the user_id there, so you have one less request to the database whena you are saving your record.
The improved model:
class Post < ActiveRecord::Base
user.name if user_id
And the part in your view that i left out the last time, but this one is just better in my opinion:
< %= f.label :user_name %>
< %= f.text_field :user_name %>
< %= f.hidden_field :user_id %>
Also, you have to edit the CoffeScript that does the magic for you, so it will return the id into the hidden field:
$(document).ready -> $('#post_user_name').autocomplete source: "/ajax/users" select: (event,ui) -> $("#post_user_id").val(ui.item.id)
An easier way of doing it, and leaner on the database queries, at least one less.